Monday, September 3, 2012

quilting bee as stitch gathering


I don’t want to use this blog just to post pictures of people gathering around to stitch; you can see that on our Facebook page. I love the idea of people sitting around to stitch together and so I will explore groups who, throughout time, have done this.

I have been thinking about the traditional quilting bee. From the book, “Massachusetts Quilts: Our Common Wealth” by Lynne Z. Bassett: The term quilting bee was not used until late in the 19th century. In 1802, cooperative quilting came in the form of a large work party called a ‘quilting.‘   Women who gathered together to quilt enjoyed the satisfaction of completing a project, as well as the opportunity to chat and exchange news. It strengthened the bonds between neighbors and relatives.

This, in the twitter age, sounds very satisfying to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment