Sunday, September 16, 2012

stitching in public





A glorious day at the farmer’s market this past week. Perfect Fall weather - not to hot; not too cold. Lucy and I arrived at the farmer’s market around lunch time. Our usual spot at the base of the monument was taken by a vendor, so we set up in the shade along the walk area. Lucy laid on the cobblestone and chewed her bone, while shoppers stepped over her or paused to pat her on the head. I sat and stitched, taking in the sounds of the New Orleans Jazz group to my right and the Woody Guthrie guys harmonizing further to my left.  A few people stopped to ask about the stitch gatherings sign and stayed to chat a bit. A guy who was a classmate of mine a few years ago, sat with me and ate his lunch, filling me in on his new tatoos and his latest heartbreak.  I stitch more loosely when I am in public and engaged in conversation. I just stitch spontaneously, without thinking too much. It’s much better than when I am by myself trying make important art.

No comments:

Post a Comment